Can you bring your family on a Thai retirement visa?

If you're considering retiring in Thailand and want to bring your family along, you may be wondering whether it's possible to do so under a Thai retirement visa. The answer is yes, but there are specific requirements and conditions that you should be aware of.

Thai Kru is Rated 4.8 stars with 69 Google Reviews

Dependent Family Members

Under a Thai retirement visa, which is officially known as a Non-Immigrant O-A visa, you have the option to bring along specific family members who rely on you for support. This usually covers your husband or wife and your children who are not yet married and are under 20 years old. To do this, you will need to provide official documents that confirm your relationship with these family members.

In simpler terms, if you have a Thai retirement visa, you can bring your spouse and unmarried children who are younger than 20 years old to stay with you in Thailand, but you'll need to prove that they are indeed your family members through documentation.

Financial Requirements

To bring your family on a Thai retirement visa, you must meet the financial requirements for both yourself and your dependents. You need to demonstrate a minimum monthly income or maintain a specific amount of money in a Thai bank account to support yourself and your dependents. The amount of money that an retiree must have with them while traveling in the Kingdom is to have money or documents that should be paid or exchanged for a value equal to the exchange rate of not less than 400,000 baht (four hundred thousand baht).  If you want to know more about retirement visa information, check on "Everything you need to know about Retirement in Thailand" blog.

Application Process

To bring your family on a Thai retirement visa, you'll need to apply for their dependent visas at a Thai embassy or consulate in your home country or at a Thai immigration office within Thailand. The specific documents and procedures may vary, so it's essential to check with the Thai immigration authorities or the Thai embassy/consulate for the most up-to-date information.

Documents Needed for Applying

  • Passport: Make sure your passport has at least 6 months left before it expires.Application Form: Fill out the application form completely.
  • Photos: Provide two recent photos (taken within the last 6 months) where you're not wearing hats or sunglasses, with a blue or white background.
  • Marriage or Birth Certificate: If you're married, bring the original and a copy of your marriage certificate. If you have children, provide their birth certificates.
  • Work Permit (if applicable): If you're following a Non-B holder, include a copy of your Thai work permit.
  • Sponsor's Passport: If you're following someone with a Non-B or retirement visa, copy the information page and Thai visa page of their passport.
  • Visa Fee: Pay the visa fee, which is 2,000 baht for a Single Entry or 5,000 baht for Multiple Entry.
  • Financial Proof: Show evidence of your financial status. You must have money or documents worth at least 400,000 baht in Thai currency or equivalent in your own currency.

Additional Documents

Depending on where you apply, the Thai Embassy or Consulate might ask for more documents like:

  • Company Documents: If you have a business, provide copies of your company registration, shareholder list, recent balance sheet, and Value Added Tax (VAT) registration (for Non-B holders).

  • Certificate of Conduct: Include a certificate showing your good behavior.

  • Medical Certificate: Sometimes, you might need a medical certificate.

Since the documents required can vary by location, it's a good idea to check with the specific Thai embassy or consulate where you plan to apply for the most current information. Check this out from your country! 

Renewal and Reporting

Retirement visas typically have an initial validity period, after which they can be extended by meeting certain criteria. You must report to Thai immigration authorities regularly and provide updated documentation to maintain your visa and the visas of your family members. Those holding a visa for 1 year or more must report every 90 days to the Immigration Office in their current area of residence. Importantly,  the submission of a 90-day self-report can be submitted 14 days in advance or not more than 7 days late if you exceed the deadline, you may have to pay a fine.

Education Considerations

If you have school-age children, it's important to research and plan for their education in Thailand. International schools are available in many areas, but their costs can vary. There are many private schools with the right quality and environment. If you need advice from a consultant on choosing a school or processing various documents, Thai Kru is here to assist with every choice for a bright future and strong progress. Click for consultation!

Legal Assistance

Navigating the visa application and renewal process in Thailand can be complex. Many retirees seek the assistance of immigration experts or legal professionals to ensure compliance with Thai immigration laws and regulations. Thai Kru knows how complicated things can be and all the different tasks involved. That's why Thai Kru was made to make it easier for you to begin your retirement and travel journey.

Please note that immigration rules and requirements can change over time, don't forget to make sure with an updated information recently. It's crucial to verify the current visa requirements and procedures with the Thai immigration authorities or the Thai embassy/consulate in your home country to ensure accurate and up-to-date information before making any plans to retire in Thailand with your family. Thai Kru wants to help planning your retirement an enjoyable experience. Remember to reach out to us for assistance. Click here!

Download Free Thailand Guides

#4439103 · 109 views · Retirement